What is it about the breakfast burrito that makes me feel warm, cozy, and well-fed? A healthy breakfast burrito can keep me fueled for hours. It’s kind of the perfect breakfast combo – a mix of protein, starch, veggies, and fat (if you add in cheese or avocado!). I like it because it’s easy, and I can usually use whatever leftovers I have on hand to make a burrito creation. My tofu scramble on Monday makes a great filling for Thursday’s burrito, and the leftovers from Taco Tuesday make a great filling for Wednesday’s breakfast. Use up those leftovers in new ways!
My family is big on the breakfast burrito, and if I am serving them up, you know it’s going to be a healthy breakfast burrito! In last week’s cooking video, I showed you how easy it is to make these. Today, I give you a written recipe for a healthy and delicious burrito full of protein and greens. It’s dairy-free with Daiya Food’s jack-style shreds. I am using spinach for the greens, but you could easily swap it out for kale, chard, arugula, or any other favorite. I went with Yukon gold potatoes for this recipe, but you could equally use a Russet or those cute fingerling potatoes. Red potatoes would be delicious as well! As you can see, this is a super versatile, easy-to-customize recipe that you can mix up a dozen different ways.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 block firm or extra firm tofu
- 2 cups chopped potato
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 dairy-free shredded cheese (such as Daiya Foods)
- 4 large tortillas
- 1. Heat the oil in the skillet and add the onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent.
- 2. Add in the potatoes and cover. Continue cooking about 10-15 minutes until potatoes are golden and crispy, being sure to stir potatoes around every so often.
- 3. When the potatoes are cooked, crumble in the block of tofu and continue cooking until the tofu is golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- 4. Stir in the salsa and spinach and combine just until the spinach is wilted.
- 5. Mix in the cheese and remove from the heat. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
- 6. Heat the tortillas over an open flame. Spoon a quarter of the filling onto the tortilla. Roll together and slice in half.
Other Healthy Breakfast Burrito Fillings
Soyrizo and Hash Browns
Saute 1/2 an onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add half a package of frozen hash browns and cook until golden brown. Crumble in half a package of soyrizo. Stir to combine and cook approximately 4-5 minutes until heated through. Top with dairy-free shredded cheese.
Beans and Rice
Combine 1 can of fat free refried beans with 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa. Top with leftover rice from taco night! Sprinkle with dairy-free shredded cheese.
Beyond Meat and Black Beans
Prepare my Fiesta Beef recipe, but add in 1 can of drained and rinsed black beans. Top with sliced avocado, salsa, and dairy-free shredded cheese.
Do you have a favorite healthy breakfast burrito filling? Please share in the comments below. I am always looking to expand my burrito recipe arsenal!