I could live on this Oven Roasted Tomato Chipotle Salsa and a bag of chips! I am a huge fan of chips and salsa. HUGE. Seriously. If I was on death row, that would be my last meal request. Chips and salsa. In my book, there’s no comfort food like it.
I am blessed with a family friend who lives alone with a large garden. The amount of tomatoes I have received this summer has been epic! So many tomatoes, so little time. Instead of making marinara sauce with a recent batch, I decided to make this Oven Roasted Tomato Chipotle Salsa! For Taco Tuesday every week, my go to is a Roasted Garlic Chipotle Salsa from Trader Joe’s. It’s pretty amazing so I don’t usually feel the need to make my own, but these tomatoes! They kept coming and coming.
My sister-and-law made a batch of salsa recently using a recipe which called for canned tomatoes. When my dad delivered the latest batch of tomatoes, I thought why used canned?! These garden grown tomatoes are so sweet that you can eat them like apples. I decided to oven roast them to bring out their sweetness even more. Don’t skip this step! It’s the secret to enhancing the flavor to this salsa.
As you just read above, I am a fan of chipotle (not too spicy though), so I added just one pepper in adobo sauce, along with some garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and salt and blended it all together in my Vitamix. So simple, but so delicious!
- 12-16 small garden tomatoes
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle them with extra virgin olive oil, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Roast for about 30-40 minutes until the tomatoes slightly burst and are juicing.
- 3. Transfer the tomatoes along with their juices into a blender or food processor with the rest of the ingredients. Pulse until you get the salsa to your desired consistency. Refrigerate the salsa for at least an hour before serving.
I hope you will try this Oven Roasted Tomato Chipotle Salsa and let me know if you do! This salsa just isn’t for chips either, (although we already know how I feel on that issue!). Try it on tacos, tofu scrambles, a vegan bowl with beans and rice, a breakfast burrito…the options are abundant! If you are going to eat it with chips, heed this warning: count out your chips before dipping…or you just might go through the whole bag!
Please let me know in the comments below what you think of this recipe. For some more recipes to eat with this salsa, try my Vegan Beef and Cheese Taquitos, my Grilled Black Bean and Portobello Mushroom Quesadilla, or my Taco Pasta.