Have you seen those shirts that say “Hummus is a food group”? That’s totally me! I love love love hummus and eat a ton of it a week. You can buy a dozen different varieties at the store, but it is so easy (and quick) to make yourself. I like playing around with different flavors and add-ins to make my own unique blends (have you tried my Edamame Hummus), and today I am excited to share my latest creation – Roasted Garlic Lemon Hummus.
It combines two of my favorite ingredients – garlic and lemon – for a killer combo in this light and zingy dip. I made it with vegetable broth instead of oil so it is also fat free! I love the caramelized flavor of garlic when it is roasted so I used that instead of raw garlic in this recipe. It complements the tangy taste of the lemon juice perfectly. Read on for the recipe!
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 garlic head
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cut off the bottom of the garlic head, drizzle with olive oil, and wrap in foil. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes at 400 degrees. Allow to cool and squeeze out the garlic from the leaves.
- 2. Combine the chickpeas, broth, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a food processor.
- 3. Blend until smooth and adjust for seasonings.
- 4. Serve with raw vegetables or chips.
What is your favorite flavor of hummus? Please share in the comments below. For more easy and delicious vegan recipes, download a copy of my FREE Vegan Family Dinners cookbooklet here.