I eat salads just about every day, and during the summer, I enjoy them for dinner too! Today, I am giving my summer salads a makeover with some “homemade-ish” help, my answer to a busy person’s challenge to get a delicious, healthy and homemade meal on the table in 30 minutes or less.
Balela Quinoa Salad
1 cup of quinoa (use pre-cooked or frozen, thawed and heated)
1 container Balela (found in the refrigerated section of Trader Joe’s)
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
1 bag of Trader Joe’s Cruciferous Crunch Blend
3/4 cup capers, drained
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
2 small organic avocados, chopped
1 container Tahini Sauce (found in the refrigerated section of Trader Joe’s next to the hummus)
2 tablespoons tamari (or more to taste)
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (or more to taste)
1. Scoop 1/4 cup of the tahini sauce in a bowl. Stir in the Cruciferous Crunch Blend.
2. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of tamari and 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast onto the salad. Combine well.
3. Add in the capers and sun-dried tomatoes. Stir well.
4. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Stir in the avocado just before eating.
Got more time? Make the dressing from scratch with the recipe here.
Greek Tabbouleh Salad
1 container Tabbouleh (found in the refrigerated section of Trader Joe’s)
1/2 jar of kalamata olives, sliced in half
1 bag of chopped romaine lettuce
2 roma tomatoes, chopped in big chunks
Half of an organic seedless cucumber, chopped in big chunks
Greek salad dressing (I like Trader Joe’s Red Wine and Vingar or Penzey’s Spices Greek Dressing)
1. Place lettuce in a bowl and add the vegetables and olives. Drizzle in salad dressing to taste.
2. Spoon the tabbouleh over the middle.
3. Drizzle dressing on top.
Got more time? Make the tabbouleh from scratch with the recipe here.