The Friendly Vegan Cookbook is the latest addition to my cookbook collection and it can be yours too! Read all about this fun and friendly cookbook and enter to win a copy of your own below!!!
I love cookbooks! In fact, I can’t seem to get enough of them, as my overflowing shelves demonstrate!!! Despite my addiction, I try to be discriminate when deciding whether or not to purchase a new cookbook. I browse through the contents and evaluate the following criteria:
Are the recipes for dishes that I can easily make for my family’s daily meals?
Are the ingredients difficult to find or expensive to buy?
How often will I really use this cookbook?
Are the images beautiful and vibrant?
Is the book laid out well and easy to use?
Will I learn anything new from this cookbook?
The Friendly Vegan Cookbook
If the cookbook gets my approval past the above questions, I have to have it. Whenever I share a new cookbook fave with you, I make sure it passes the test above, but is also a little extra special. Today, I want to share The Friendly Vegan Cookbook by Michelle Cehn and Toni Okamoto, the latest addition on my digital cookbook shelf! If you haven’t tried digital cookbooks, I highly recommend starting! They are a great way to store your cookbooks. Not only are they more environmentally friendly, but they are also portable and easy to access in the kitchen while cooking without spilling all over them (or is that just me with traditional cookbooks?!!).
In The Friendly Vegan Cookbook, Michelle and Toni use their stellar photography skills, to share 14 of their favorite household recipes. The food images are gorgeous and inspiring with corresponding simple, easy-to-follow recipes for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Sides, Dessert, and Drinks. The Friendly Vegan Cookbook gives you two recipes per category, just enough to get you started in plant-based cooking without being overwhelming. The recipes are healthier alternatives to burger and pasta dishes, including:
Hella Healthy Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Bodacious Black Bean BBQ Burgers
Herbed Polenta Fries
Poppin’ Jalapeño Poppers
PB&J Chia Pudding Parfait
2-Way Cookie Dough
One of my favorite recipes in this book is for Garlicy Ginger Tofu Triangles. Marinated tofu is a staple in my diet so I am always eager to find new ways to prepare it. These tofu triangles are delish! I get so many questions about how to prepare tofu. “Marinate it!” is always my first answer. It’s so easy to do and you can change it up a hundred different ways depending on your marinade. You can cut the tofu into triangles, cubes, or slices, and bake or fry them. So many choices to play with in the kitchen! Try them for yourself in this recipe, courtesy of The Friendly Vegan Cookbook.
- 12 oz extra firm tofu, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 stalks of green onion, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp fresh ginger, grated
- ¼ cup water
- 1. Cut tofu into ⅓ inch thick triangular slices, place in a large casserole dish, and set aside.
- 2. To create the marinade, thoroughly mix together the rest of the ingredients in a medium bowl
- and pour over the tofu. Allow tofu to sit for a minimum of two hours, or overnight for a richer
- taste. Flip tofu halfway in-between.
- 3. Once tofu is marinated, place a large sauté pan over high heat. Add just enough oil to coat
- the bottom of the pan. Add as many tofu slices as will fit in one layer. Cook until tofu is
- browned on the bottom, 2-3 minutes. Flip the pieces, and brown on the other side, about 2
- minutes. Pour in the marinade mixture, and cook until tofu darkens slightly, about 45
- seconds. Flip tofu and repeat.
- 4. Plate, garnish with remaining thinly sliced green onion and enjoy!
These tofu triangles are versatile in a variety of dishes. I love them piled on top of rice or served in a vegan bowl like this Prideful Bowl, (recipe also in The Friendly Vegan Cookbook.)
Get your own copy of The Friendly Vegan Cookbook by entering below. Good luck and happy cooking!
Recipe and photographs shared with permission from The Friendly Vegan Cookbook