Apples and agave! They are the perfect combo for a fall treat, and especially today, having just finished celebrating Rosh Hashanah, and starting Yom Kippur tonight. Apples and agave (or honey) are traditional symbols for ringing in a sweet Jewish New Year, so I created this apple pizza recipe with that in mind. I brought some walnuts and shredded coconut to join the party, and it was a love fest for the taste buds!
I love this apple pizza because the crust is already done for you! There’s no kneading involved or waiting for yeast to develop!!! That is my kind of pizza crust! Just use a dairy and egg free frozen pastry dough, such as Aussie’s Brand. You can let it thaw on the counter while you preheat your oven and prep the rest of the ingredients. I used a special ingredient for an extra sweet touch – Penzey’s Spices Cinnamon Sugar. It tastes great sprinkled over the melted Earth Balance butter that creates the foundation for this sweet treat before layering on all of the apple, walnut, and coconut goodies.
I served this apple pizza as a dessert and a snack. It gets the job done happily for either. I heard no complaints from my family and friends! Don’t forget to drizzle on a little agave over the top of the pizza after baking it for a beautiful presentation.
- 1 package dairy and egg free puff pastry (such as Aussie's Brand)
- 2 red apples (any variety), thinly sliced
- ¼ cup walnut halves
- ¼ cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 TBL cinnamon sugar
- 1 TBL agave
- 2 TBL non-dairy butter, melted (such as Earth Balance)
- 1. Thaw puff pastry for about 45 minutes. Roll out and spread onto a pizza baking sheet.
- 2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 3. Brush the puff pastry with the melted butter and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar.
- 4. Lay out the apples, walnuts, and shredded coconut on the puff pastry.
- 5. Bake for about 10 minutes until golden brown.
- 6. Remove from the oven and drizzle with the agave syrup.