This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Boo! I admit these rice crispy ghost treats are more sweet than scary! These dairy-free treats are a fun dessert option for Halloween. With just a basic rice crispy treat recipe, some dairy-free white chocolate, and a cookie cutter, these ghost treats come together very easily! Hail to the cookie cutter – the star in this recipe! I love how a simple cookie cutter can turn the most mundane food into a culinary creation.
My ghost cookie cutter was the inspiration for these rice crispy ghost treats. I saw it in my cupboard, beckoning me to come out and play. Anyone can make a sugar cookie, but I wanted to do something different! I have made Valentine’s Day rice crispy treats with my heart cookie cutter, but that’s about it. I wondered if my ghost cutter could handle a rice crispy treat. It turns out it can, but you have to be a little careful about pulling the cutter off of the treat (I had to do minor surgery on a few ghost arms).
The key to cutting these ghosts is to do it when the rice crispy “batter” is still pliable. As you cut the ghosts, you will need to piece together the scraps and press it back down into the pan so you can keep cutting ghosts. Carefully, pull the cutter off of the ghosts and line them up on a parchment paper as you go. Don’t fret if an arm comes off. You can easily press it back onto its body.
Once you have your ghosts all laid out on your parchment paper, it is time to frost them with your favorite dairy-free white chocolate. Disclaimer: they don’t look like much before you frost them. As my 13 year-old commented upon seeing them, “Mom, why are you making corpses?” While I suppose that would have worked for Halloween too, that wasn’t the look I was going for! Thankfully, as soon as I frosted them and added eyes, she had no problem seeing them as ghosts! Whew, crisis averted!
I used Earth Balance, Dandies marshmallows, brown rice cereal, and vanilla for my rice crispy ghost treats. For dairy-free chocolate, there are a couple of options available. Check out Fork & Bean’s fabulous dairy-free guide for a few. I used Enjoy Life’s dairy-free mini chocolate chips for eyes.
- ¼ cup dairy-free butter, such as Earth Balance
- 10 ounces vegan marshmallows, such as Dandies
- 6 cups brown rice cereal
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Dairy-free white chocolate
- Dairy-free mini chocolate chips, such as Enjoy Life
- 1. Heat butter and marshmallows in a large sauce pan. Stir continuously until the marshmallows have completely melted. Stir in the vanilla.
- 2. Stir in the cereal one cup at a time.
- 3. Press the “batter” in a greased baking pan and press down with parchment paper so that it is completely flat and even in the pan.
- 4. Use a ghost cookie cutter to cut ghosts out of the rice crispy treats.
- 5. Melt the white chocolate. Using a frosting knife, spread the chocolate on top of each ghost. Place two chocolate chips as eyes on each ghost.
Use clementines to balance out this sweet treat. They look like pumpkins! This snack makes me think of the adorable Halloween picture book, 5 Little Pumpkins. How about pairing the two for a fun and delicious snack and story time?!!!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Please tell me you favorite Halloween treat to make this time of year in the comments below.