Valentine’s Day is fast approaching! One of my favorite ways to show my love is through a home cooked meal. This Valentine’s Day Vegetable Wellington is the perfect holiday meal to please vegans and carnivores. Filled with leeks, artichokes, and sun-dried tomatoes, it is big on flavor, but not too heavy to weigh you down for that romance later on (see my post on Vegan Valentine’s Chocolate for some mood enhancing treats)! I cut hearts out of some of the extra pastry dough to add some holiday decoration to the final presentation, but it looks great without it too.
2 leeks, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can artichokes in water, drained and chopped
1 jar whole sun-dried tomatoes, drained
1 sheet vegan puff pastry dough (I use the brand, Aussie Bakery, available at Whole Foods)
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Thaw puff pastry according to package directions, about a half hour before starting.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Heat oil in a medium saucepan. Add the leeks and saute until translucent. Stir in the garlic and add the artichokes hearts. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. Unwrap dough on a non stick cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Stretch and roll dough out slightly to give more length to the pastry.
4. Spoon the mixture over the pastry dough lengthwise, leaving about a 1/2 inch border all around.
5. Layer the tomatoes on top.
6. Take each side of the dough and fold them together forming a seam in the middle. Carefully, flip the Wellington over so that the seam is faced down.
7. Pinch the open ends together to seal the sides.
8. Bake for approximately 30 minutes. Slice into pieces for serving.
I hope you and your Valentine enjoy this. If you make it, please let me know what you think in the comments section below. For more Valentine’s Day meal ideas, you may enjoy my post, 3 Recipes To Your Man’s Heart.