Oh my goodness, veegs! This is a good one. I mean really good!!! I was inspired by this recipe on One Good Thing By Jillee. This vegan cornbread waffle sandwich is pure decadence – and it’s vegan and gluten free. Using a canned chili and boxed cornbread mix, it makes a great recipe for my Homemade-ish series, my answer to a busy person’s challenge to put a delicious, healthy meal on the table in 3o minutes or less.
Cornbread Waffle Sandwich
Makes approximately 2 waffle sandwiches
- Gluten free, vegan cornbread mix (I used Bob’s Red Mill, available at Whole Foods)
- 1 can of your favorite chili
- Daiya cheddar shreds
- Sliced tomato
- Vegan sour cream
- Prepare the cornbread mix according to the package directions. I used Ener-G Egg Replacer and almond milk instead of eggs and dairy milk that the package called for.
- Spoon the batter into a greased and preheated waffle maker, and cook until golden brown.
- Heat chili and spread 1-2 heaping tablespoons on top of a waffle.
- Top with cheese, tomato slices, and sour cream.
- Place another waffle on top.
Beware: this is a messy one to eat! It started in my hands, and then I finished it off with a knife and fork. Enjoy!
For more recipes in my “Homemade-ish” series, check out: