Meet my new favorite kale salad. Isn’t she lovely? I discovered her last week while eating at The Source Cafe in Hermosa Beach. I loved the salad so much that I had to recreate it later in the week when I was craving it again. Here’s my try at duplicating it. I think I came pretty close!
Kale Salad with Roasted Fennel and Tomatoes
4 cups of organic, chopped kale
2 cups of grape tomatoes
1 fennel bulb
1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Juice of two lemons
Olive oil, divided
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place tomatoes on a jelly roll pan and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper. Combine to coat the tomatoes.
2. Slice the fennel bulb in half and place face down on a jelly roll pan. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper. Combine to coat the fennel.
3. Place both pans in the oven and roast for approximately 30-40 minutes, until tomatoes burst and fennel is golden brown on the edges.
4. In a bowl, squeeze the fresh lemon juice over the kale, along with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Massage kale with hands to coat with the lemon juice and olive oil.
5. When vegetables are done roasting, scrape tomatoes and their juices on top of the kale. Finely chop the fennel and add to the kale. Stir in the chickpeas and almonds.
6. Add more lemon juice, salt, or pepper, as desired.