It’s St. Patrick’s Day, so how about a green recipe?!! I recently made up a batch of my favorite enchiladas and wanted a rice alternative to accompany them as a side dish. I had a bag of Trader Joe’s Power Greens in the fridge and a cup left of quinoa in my pantry so I came up with this quickie recipe. It came out delish. The lime juice adds a great tang. Try serving it with fresh, chopped cilantro and slices of avocado on top.
5 oz bag of Trader Joe’s Power Greens (or any mix of your favorite greens – spinach, kale, etc.)
2 garlic cloves
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1 vegetable bouillon cube (salt added)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
Juice of 1-2 limes
1/2 cup fresh, chopped cilantro (optional)
1 avocado, sliced (optional)
1. In a food processor, combine the greens and garlic. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a medium pot, heat the oil and add the quinoa, stirring constantly until lightly golden, about 3-5 minutes.
3. Add the water and bouillon cube. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 10 minutes, until water is absorbed.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the greens and garlic mixture.
6. Mix in the lime juice and stir well.
7. Season with salt to taste. Top with cilantro and avocado (optional).